Working for NHBC
Would you like to be part of the leading UK organisation raising the standards of house building?
At NHBC we are committed to working with the house-building and wider construction industry to raise the standard of new homes and to provide consumer protection for new home buyers.
We seek to drive up quality and improve industry standards through:
- Providing comprehensive warranty and insurance products and access to a 'one stop package' of core business services, complementary professional services and value-added services
- By being the national and an international authority on the raising of standards in home construction, house building regulation and consumer protection for new home buyers
For more information about what we do, please go to the What we do section.
NHBC is a non profit distributing organisation with no shareholders. It is dedicated to raising housebuilding standards for all new homeowners and profits are re-invested to achieve this aim. Delivering profit and controlling costs are important but profit is not the only driver. Homes are at the heart of our lives and our employees are proud to be making a difference to the standard of house building in the UK. At NHBC, we always aim to consistently treat our customers fairly and reflect this through our everyday activities.
Achieving our aims requires people who are dedicated to improving standards and quality and are committed to delivering excellent customer service. In return for this commitment NHBC offers a wide variety of opportunities across commercial, political and technical areas. There are great opportunities for development through training and to broaden horizons through secondment.
It is possible to have a good work life balance at NHBC and to contribute to the community through our CSR activity. Some of the projects that staff have been involved in are sponsored builds in India and Romania and an industry-wide HopeBuilder Charity Challenge event in the UK. These fund raising activities raised more than £200,000, providing funding for an additional 60 homes.
Your career at NHBC
We offer a broad range of career opportunities across the UK, including opportunities for experienced professionals and those who would like to train with us. Our main functional areas include:
- Technical Services - employing field-based inspectors, engineers and surveyors (both field and office-based), to ensure NHBC standards and building regulations are met. In addition, we employ professionals providing health and safety, training, energy rating, air-leakage and acoustic services to house builders and the wider construction industry. We also employ graduate surveyors and those from a building-related discipline as trainees.
- Commercial - employing field-based staff with an inspection or surveying background that investigate claims and co-ordinate repairs; office-based claims handlers from a financial services background and administrative support as well as registration and technical experts in NHBC standards and building regulations.
- Finance and Resources - functions supporting NHBC business including Finance, IT, Human Resources, Marketing and Corporate Communications
Your personal development
A motivated, professional and highly trained workforce is key to achievement of our goal to improve standards and quality. Our Learning & Development and Training services function runs a wide range of development and training programmes for the benefit of our employees, in addition to offering quality external training to the house-building industry.
We also support the ongoing professional development of our employees and encourage membership of relevant professional bodies, through support for approved professional membership development programmes and payment of subscriptions.
NHBC was awarded Investors in People status in 1999 and successfully maintains this accreditation today. We have also recently achieved the Sunday Times Best Companies 'One to Watch' status.
The rewards and benefits
NHBC offers competitive salaries for each role and regularly benchmarks these against positions within similar sectors. Benefits at NHBC include membership of a Stakeholder Pension Plan, life assurance, subsidised private healthcare and immediate access to the employee support helpline for all NHBC employees and their family members. We also offer eye care vouchers, childcare vouchers and have a company Ride 2 Work scheme.
Depending on the position, a company car or payment in lieu of a company car may be made available and you may be entitled to various additional allowances including an area weighting allowance dependent on location.
For further information on the reward and benefits package offered by NHBC, please call 0844 633 1000 and say 'Recruitment'.
At NHBC we put people at the heart of achieving our purpose of raising standards for house building. Part of our culture is to be transparent in the way we report how we colleagues are supported and wellbeing is managed, and to use external benchmarking where possible.
This download details NHBC's position in reporting wellbeing using the Business in the Community reporting guidelines for employee wellness and engagement. We have added a commentary to the reporting framework to describe our approach to the metrics.
Where we work
Our Head Office is in Milton Keynes where many of our opportunities are based. However, almost 50% of our colleagues are based from home and travel to where they need to be. We also have small regional offices in Edinburgh and Belfast and a satellite office in London. .
At NHBC, we place a great deal of value in looking after our staff. Putting our policies online underlines our commitment to transparency.