005 Crocker's Folly Public House
St John's Wood, London
Gregori Chiarotti Architects
Abouzaki Holdings Ltd
BF Construction Ltd
Built in 1898 and located in the prestigious St. John’s Wood area of Central London, this Grade II* listed former public house was restored to its original glory to form a new public house and restaurant at basement and ground floor level with self contained residential apartments to the upper floors.
“The refurbishment and conversion of Crocker’s Folly was a challenging project for all involved. Achieving the appropriate balance between respecting the historic fabric and complying with today’s standards is by no means a simple task. The success of the project is in large part due to the collaborative team effort of all the professionals involved. The NHBC were a key part of the team proactively working with us in developing intelligent solutions to complex problems.”
Nello Gregori - Director, Gregori Chiarotti Architects
Due to the sensitive nature of this project, with keen interest from both English Heritage and Westminster Council’s conservation department, NHBC’s early involvement in the design process was key to ensure the project schedule ran smoothly and satisfied all the interested stakeholders.
Consideration and advice was given across all areas of building regulations, with particular attention being paid towards the development of the architect’s fire strategy to ensure modern fire safety provisions were provided for the change of use of a Grade II* listed building. The fire authority approved the fire safety provisions on first submission.
Elements of modern living, such as refuse store and bike storage, had to be sensitively incorporated into the building’s new design. NHBC’s solution introduced the refuse areas into the basement as capacity to provide these outside was limited due to the site being landlocked.
All parts of the building have been sympathetically upgraded to achieve modern fire resistant and thermal requirements whilst maintaining the architecturally important features and the overall character of the original building.