Making a Subject Access Request

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, you are entitled to request access to personal information held about you by NHBC. This request must be in writing.

Please click on the link below to complete a downloadable application form. This will assist us in locating your information quickly and efficiently.

Subject Access Request form

Please be advised that there is a £10 charge for providing this information. Cheques should be made payable to `NHBC' with a signed copy of this form; we cannot begin processing your request until the fee is received.

Please read the Guidance Notes below before completing the subject access request form.

Guidance Notes

The Data Protection Act

The Data Protection Act (The Act) applies to personal information that NHBC holds about you. It sets out rules on how NHBC must handle your information.

Under the Act, you (the ‘Data Subject’) are entitled to request copies of all personal data that NHBC holds about you - this is called a subject access request.

What is personal information and how does NHBC use it?

Personal information is any information that relates to you or can be used to identify you.

NHBC provides a range of services. To do this, we need to keep essential personal information about people like you who use our services. This information is voluntarily provided by you/a solicitor acting on your behalf i.e. when you accept Buildmark policy cover, submit a claim, request further information or complete questionnaires.

NHBC may hold information about you such as your name, address and the price you paid for the property.

NHBC processes, within the meaning of the Data Protection Act, the limited personal data that it may hold about you for the purpose of:

  • Recording the owners of the property
  • Statistical analysis for administrative purposes
  • Dealing with your claims and complaints

Please note that copies of site records/building plans do not fall within the definition of personal data as they would not identify you or refer to you; this information relates solely to the property itself. You can obtain access to these records via our Technical Services Team. Their email address is: technicalservicessupport@nhbc.co.uk.

Who do you give my personal information to?

The recipients of your personal information are employees of NHBC and persons or companies involved in, or having an interest in, your claim/requests for information.

For more information on how NHBC processes your personal data, please click below.

NHBC privacy policy

How do I submit a subject access request?

To obtain copies of personal information that NHBC may hold about you, your request must be in writing. Please complete the downloadable application form which is designed to gather information which we need to identify you, communicate with you and locate data about you.

When completing the application form, please be as specific as possible about the information you require as this will assist us in processing your request.

Under the terms of the Data Protection Act, we also require a £10 cheque made payable to ‘NHBC’. Please note that we cannot begin processing your request until the fee is received.

If you are requesting information on behalf of someone else, NHBC requires additional proof to ensure that you are authorised to act on their behalf. Please provide a copy of your passport or driving license and one copy of the following:

  • Written consent from the data subject (an authority to act).
  • Lasting power of attorney.
  • Proof of identity for the data subject.

NHBC will respond to your request as soon as possible and in all cases, within 40 calendar days of receipt of your cheque.

Please send the completed form, proof of identification (if applicable) and £10 cheque to:

Compliance Manager
NHBC House
Davy Avenue
Milton Keynes

How do I complain if I am not happy?

If you are not satisfied with the handling of your subject access request, please contact the Compliance Manager in the first instance who will aim to resolve your concerns.

Compliance Manager
NHBC House
Davy Avenue
Milton Keynes

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you have the right to ask the Information Commissioner for an assessment of whether your data has been processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act. You can contact the Commissioner at:

Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House


More information

NHBC's New Homes Website