Development of affordable housing
As the leading provider of consumer protection for new homes in the UK, NHBC understands that risk management is key to successfully developing affordable housing.
With 75 years experience of raising construction standards, NHBC takes a rigorous approach. We work in partnership with you to help mitigate the building risks, providing comprehensive warranty cover, expert technical support and services for regulatory compliance.
Helping to manage your risk
A key part of our exceptional approach to risk management is our warranty and insurance cover, which covers 80% of the UK's new build housing.
Our 'Buildmark Choice' is specifically designed to protect Housing Associations (HAs) and other Registered Social Landlords (RSLs), available for up to 12 years on new build social, rented and shared ownership tenures, across a range of schemes.
This comprehensive warranty provides:
- contractor insolvency during the build, as an alternative for performance bonds
- contractor defect liability and insolvency for up to 2 years after completion
- building failures cover for latent defects - significantly reducing the need for collateral warranties
- loss of rent
More on our warranty cover here
Expert technical support at every stage
- rigorous key stage site inspections designed to reduce building defects
- unrivalled technical expertise based on over 500,000 inspections a year
- sustainability research, plus planning and assessment services
- early engagement providing valuable technical advice and guidance, including advice on brownfield land and engineering conditions
- rewarding excellence through our Pride in the Job awards and NHBC Health & Safety awards, plus sponsorship of industry events
Additional support throughout the process
Our collaborative approach helps you manage your technical building risk. Our wide range of services support you from planning and design, to build and customer handover.
Quick links to specific services below
- Sustainability - Code for sustainable homes, feasibility reports
- Regulatory compliance - integrating building control, energy and air leakage
- Working in partnership to develop and share best practice
- Industry groups and events