Sound insulation pre-completion testing in England and Wales

A service for all projects from small housing developments to commercial schemes

Part E of the Building Regulations requires that new attached homes are designed and constructed to provide reasonable resistance to the passage of sound and that, unless the homes are registered with Robust Details Limited, a sample of dwellings on every new development will have to be tested.

Our technicians and consultants have carried out over 20000 sound insulation tests and have the experience to help you on any scheme. Using our pre-completion testing service gives you:

Ready to order?

Go straight to ordering or talk to us about your

Contact us

Had a test from another supplier and failed?

Failure to meet the required minimum standards for sound insulation can result in substantial and costly delays. We can offer prompt remedial advice and re-testing. Find out how we can help

Contact us

Planning another site?

Involve our acoustics team at the design stage of your project and they can help you achieve compliance and potentially save you money by optimising your acoustic specification.

Find out how

Part E Requirements

Since 2003, all attached newly built or converted homes in England and Wales have had to comply with the sound insulation requirements of Part E of the Building Regulations.

Requirement E1

For new builds, Part E1 requires that you demonstrate compliance by:

  • pre-completion testing; or
  • using the Robust Details Scheme.

For conversions, pre-completion testing is required.

Other schemes such as the Code for Sustainable Homes, EcoHomes and BREEAM may also require pre-completion testing for sound insulation - awarding credits for performance and/or rates of testing over and above the Building Regulations minimum requirements.

Requirements E2 and E3

E2 sets the laboratory performance standards for internal walls and floors within dwellings.

E3 sets the performance standards for the control of reverberation in common internal parts of multi-occupancy domestic buildings.

Need more information on Part E? Visit TechZone

When do you need the service and what's involved?

We usually carry out testing after second fix and before floor finishes (carpets, laminate, tiles etc) are laid. We recommend you book your provisional testing date(s) at design stage so that it's incorporated into your build programme. However, as a minimum, you should book at least 2 weeks before you need to clear any relevant Building Control conditions.

In line with the requirements of Part E, our technicians will test the separating floors and walls between attached properties on a sample basis- usually 1 set of tests per 10 dwellings of similar type and construction.

Case Studies:

Discuss your project

Ready to order or need more information?

Contact us


Technical guidance on Building Regulations

Find out more