Sound insulation post-completion testing in Scotland For small housing developments to commercial schemes
Section 5 of the Scottish Building Standards sets the performance standards and the requirements for post-completion testing of the separating walls and floors of attached new dwellings in Scotland.
Using our post-completion testing service gives you:
- fast response, quick results - testing is arranged around your build schedule and you will receive an immediate indication of test performance on site, with a full certificate/report sent electronically shortly afterwards
- expert remedial advice if your development fails any of the tests, helping you achieve compliance as quickly as possible. We will, whenever possible, undertake re-tests during the same visit to help you get the pass you need
- a complete compliance solution if you combine your sound insulation testing with air leakage or Section 6 energy services. We will ensure swift communication between teams to clear outstanding technical conditions.
Had a test from another supplier and failed?
Failure to meet the required minimum standards for sound insulation can result in substantial and costly delays. We can offer prompt remedial advice and re-testing. Find out how we can help:
Planning another site?
Involve our acoustics team at the design stage of your project and they can help you achieve compliance and potentially save you money by optimising your acoustic specification.
What are the requirements of Section 5 (Noise)?
With effect from 1 October 2010, Section 5 (Noise) of the Scottish Building Standards now includes a requirement for a post-completion sound insulation testing regime (where example constructions are not being used), and tougher sound insulation performance criteria, as shown on the table below.
Tests should be carried out in approximately one in 10 dwelling types (depending on size and make-up of the scheme).
Previous New build & Conversions (dB)
New build & Conversions (dB)
Increase from 2010
Airborne Sound (min DnT,w)
Impact Sound (max L'nT,w)
When do you need the service and what's involved?
We usually carry out testing after second fix and before floor finishes (carpets, laminate, tiles etc) are laid. We recommend you book your provisional testing date(s) at design stage so that it's incorporated into your build programme. However, as a minimum, you should book 6 to 8 weeks before you need to clear any relevant Building Standards conditions.
- Acoustic consultancy for Berkeley Homes
- Specialist acoustic services for Mizen D&B
- Demonstrating energy efficiency for Huf Haus
NHBC's testing service in Scotland is offered in association with RMP.
Discuss your project
Ready to order or need more information? Contact us