Claims and dispute resolution

If you discover a problem with a home or homes in a development, the steps you should take depend on how long the Buildmark Choice Policy has been in force.

Problem during the first 2 years

In the first 2 years of the Buildmark Choice policy, your contractor is responsible for putting right damage covered by the policy and you should contact them in the first instance. 

If there is a dispute between you and your contractor about work to be done, we may be able to offer our Resolution Service to assist in resolving disputes about damage relating to the NHBC Standards.

Helping you resolve disputes

You can make a new claim, contact us about an ongoing claim, ask us to call you back or call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Claims'.

Please note that our Resolution Service can only help with disputes with the builder about damage relating to the NHBC Standards, which were reported to them within their liability period.  We will not be able to assist with items not covered by Buildmark Choice, such as financial or contractual disputes or defects which do not relate to our requirements.

We will firstly contact the builder ourselves and request that they either complete any outstanding works or advise us if there is a dispute over the works that are required.

If this does not resolve matters we can then arrange for one of our Claims Investigators to visit your property and meet with you and the builder to try to resolve the dispute.  If agreement cannot be reached, then the Investigator will recommend what action, if any, we require of the builder.

We will issue a report which, if appropriate, will require the builder to carry out work or actions within a set timescale.  If the builder fails to carry out our recommendations, despite being given reasonable access, then we can arrange for the work to be done.

For more information about our Resolution Service, please read  guidance notes.

Problem in years 3 to 10 (or 12 if you select the extended cover option)

During this period we provide you with direct insurance cover against the cost of putting right certain damage to the home(s).

If you have a problem, call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Claims', or complete our online new claim form.

Our complaints procedure

Our commitment is to provide a claims handling and resolution service that is effective, professional, courteous and prompt to help you provide the best possible service to your tenants.

If you are not satisfied with the way we have handled your claim, we have a full complaints procedure set out in our Claims Charter.  We will take your complaint seriously and ensure that there is an independent review.

Contact us

0344 633 1000
Open: Mon - Fri   08:30 – 17:30

For general enquiries or to discuss a guide price: Ask for ‘Customer Services’,
email us or write to us

To discuss a claim: Ask for ’Claims’,
email us or write to us

Making a claim?

If there is a problem with a home or
home(s) and you need to let us knowClaims Online

Any questions?

See some frequently asked questions