Warranties and cover


Problems with your home

It's unusual to have serious problems with a new home. However, if you do discover a defect, the steps you should take depend on how long your Buildmark policy has been in force.

Problem before completion

After exchange of contracts, if the builder does not start or complete your home due to insolvency or fraud, you should contact us as soon as possible. 

Problems during the first 2 years

In the first 2 years of the Buildmark policy, the builder is responsible for putting right damage covered by the policy and you should contact them in the first instance.

If there is a dispute between you and the builder about work to be done, then we may be able to offer our Resolution Service to assist in resolving disputes about damage relating to the NHBC Standards.

Helping you resolve disputes

You can make a new claim, contact us about an ongoing claim, ask us to call you back or call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Claims'.

Please note that our Resolution Service can only help with disputes with your builder about defects relating to the NHBC Standards, which were reported to them within their liability period.  We will not be able to assist with items not covered by Buildmark, such as financial or contractual disputes or defects which do not relate to our requirements.

We will firstly contact the builder ourselves and request that they either complete any outstanding works or advise us if there is a dispute over the works that are required.

If this does not resolve matters we can then arrange for one of our Claims Investigators to visit your property and meet with you and the builder to try to resolve the dispute.  If agreement cannot be reached, then the Investigator will recommend what action, if any, we require of the builder.

We will issue a report which, if appropriate, will require the builder to carry out work or actions within a set timescale.  If the builder fails to carry out our recommendations, despite being given reasonable access, then we can arrange for the work to be done.

For more information about our Resolution Service, please read The builder's responsibilities and the Resolution Service guidance notes.

Please note:  It's important to notify your builder as soon as possible of any defect or damage.  It's also important to date and keep copies of all correspondence as well as notes of telephone conversations or meetings.

Problem during years 3 to 10

During years 3 to 10, we provide you with insurance cover against the cost of putting right physical damage to your home.

If you have a problem, call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Claims', or complete our online new claim form.

You will need to give us your full name, address, postcode, NHBC Buildmark policy number and certificate date.

Minimum claim value during years 3-10

Unlike most insurers, we operate a minimum claim value rather than a policy excess. This means that if the cost of your claim exceeds the minimum claim value we will do the work or pay the cost in full and you will not have to make any contribution. However, if the cost of your claim does not exceed the minimum claim value we will not do any work or pay any costs.

The amount of the minimum claim value will depend on when your home was built. You should refer to your policy document or call us for confirmation of the amount of the minimum claim value that applies to your home.

Our complaints procedure

Our commitment is to provide a claims handling and resolution service that is effective, professional, courteous and prompt.

If you are not satisfied with the way we have handled your claim, we have a full complaints procedure set out in our Claims Charter

We will take your complaint seriously and ensure that there is an independent review.


Contact us

0800 035 6422
Open: Mon - Fri   08:30 – 17:30

For general enquiries: Ask for ‘Customer Services’,
or write to us

To discuss a claim: Ask for ’Claims’,
email us or write to us

Making a new claim?

If you have a problem with your home and need to let us know Find Out More

The Consumer Code

The Consumer Code for Home BuildersFind out more