Warranties and cover


Shared ownership homes

Our Buildmark Choice warranty is our specialist policy for the affordable housing sector.  So, if you are the shared owner of a new home with a NHBC warranty, you may have Buildmark Choice cover.

Checking you have Buildmark Choice

Often, with shared ownership schemes, the Housing Association keeps the warranty documentation and so it's possible you may have cover and not know it.  To find out if you are covered please call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Customer Services.'

What does Buildmark Choice cover?

This is a summary of the cover we provide:

During the first 2 years

In the first 2 years the builder/contractor is responsible for fixing damage that occurs as a result of their failure to build to the NHBC Standards.

There is no excess for this part of the policy.

During years 3 to 10 (or 12 if selected) 

When selecting Buildmark Choice cover, the Housing Association can choose to cover the home for 10 or 12 years. 

From the end of the first 2 years until the home is 10 or 12 years old (depending on the cover selected) we provide insurance to cover the cost of putting right physical damage in specified parts of the home.

There may be an excess to pay for this part of the policy.  You should check the terms of your policy document for details or call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Customer Services.'

Got a problem with your home?

If you have a problem with your home you should inform your Housing Association, who will then tell you how to proceed. 

Usually the process is as follows:

During the first 2 years

Notify the builder/contractor of your concerns.  You should keep copies of any correspondence and notes of telephone conversations, as you may need these later to prove that problems were reported in the first 2 years.

If there is a dispute between you and the builder/contractor about work to be done, then we may be able to offer our Resolution Service to assist in resolving disputes about defects or damage relating to the NHBC Standards.

Helping you resolve disputes

You can make a new claim, contact us about an ongoing claim, ask us to call you back or call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Claims'.

We will write to the builder and request that they either complete any outstanding works or advise us if there is a dispute over the works that are required.

If there is a dispute over the works required, one of our Claims Investigators will visit your property and meet with you and the builder to try to resolve the dispute.  If agreement cannot be reached, then the Investigator will recommend what action, if any, we require of the builder.

We will issue a report which, if appropriate, will require the builder to carry out work or actions within a set timescale.  If the builder fails to carry out our recommendations, despite being given reasonable access, then we can arrange for the work to be done.  If your builder is insolvent then we will pay for the work to be completed.

Please note: Our Resolution Service is only available for disputes relating to defects covered by Buildmark or Buildmark Choice. It doesn't cover disputes about financial or contractual matters.

During years 3 to 10 (or 12 if selected)

If you have a problem, call us on 0800 035 6422 and ask for 'Claims', or complete our online new claim form.

You will need to provide your full name, address, postcode, Buildmark Choice policy number and certificate date.

Contact us

0800 035 6422
Open: Mon - Fri   08:30 – 17:30

For general enquiries: Ask for ‘Customer Services’,
or write to us

To discuss a claim: Ask for ’Claims’,
email us or write to us

Making a new claim?

If you have a problem with your home and need to let us know Find Out More