Build your career with us…
We are looking for a Building Inspector in the Chelmsford area.
At NHBC we are proud to be unique. No other organisation in our sector combines the variety of services and scale that we offer. As the market leader, our name is synonymous with new home warranty and insurance. Our people are driven by our core purpose to build confidence in the construction quality of new homes.
Why you should join us
We are a modern, lifestyle and family friendly employer who are in a period of rapid growth, investing in technology, data and new ways of working. We need passionate, talented and driven people to join us on this journey.
We encourage our colleagues to work flexibly in different ways, including home, field-based and hybrid working. We don’t promise we can offer you exactly what you want, but we are always happy to talk flexible working.
Core benefits include:
- Company Car
- 27 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and a holiday purchase scheme
- generous pension contributions up to 10.5%
- private medical insurance
- equalised maternity, paternity, adoption leave and pay for all new parents
- 24/7 employee assistance programme supporting your physical and mental wellbeing
- 2 days volunteer leave
What you’ll be doing
Based from home but out and about every day, you’ll be working with our registered builders to ensure that the new homes they are building meet the NHBC Standards, Building Regulations and other relevant legislation. You will have the opportunity to build excellent working relationships with the site managers on your patch, working with them to identify and prevent construction defects. It’s an important job, helping us to manage our insurance risk and to create the very best homes for new home buyers.
You can expect full training and the ongoing support of your line manager and wider team. You’ll have control of your own diary and the autonomy to do the job as you think best. Your working day will start when you leave home (not when you arrive at your first call) and we won’t ask you to work weekends because we believe a good work/life balance is essential.
The successful applicant possessing the appropriate skillsets will have the opportunity for rapid progression to Senior Building Inspector subject to satisfactory performance.
What we are looking for:
- Significant and relevant house-building or construction experience
- Able to listen, build rapport, establish credibility and build effective working relationships.
- Able to tailor communications to meet the needs of the audience.
- Able to influence and deal with potential disagreements in an assertive manner that maintains relationships.
- Able to gather and analyse information to support decision making.
- Able to describe the house building process and how the trades interact with each other.
- This is a physically demanding role requiring visits to construction sites and inspection of buildings throughout the whole of the build process. Including working frequently at height
- A keen interest in learning and keeping up to date with industry related improvements, building standards and developments.
- Focus on customer satisfaction and delivering a quality service to agreed standards
Education and Qualifications
- It would be great if you have or are working towards a construction related qualification such as City and Guilds, HNC, HND or NVQ (or equivalent)
- A full Driving licence is required for this role
Hiring Process After the closing date 06/07/2022, We will be in touch regarding your application. If successful, you will be contacted to arrange either an online, or face-to-face interview.
Potential applicants are sometimes put off if they don’t meet 100% of the requirements. We think individual experience, skills and passion make all the difference, so if you meet the majority of the criteria, we’d love to hear from you. If you need any adjustments or additional support with your application, please let us know at Recruitment@nhbc.co.uk
Your future with us
We have lots of fantastic examples across our business of people who are building their career with us. We are huge advocates of internal mobility and work hard to retain our best talent. We offer exceptional personal development and career progression opportunities. If you’re ambitious, driven and hard-working you will succeed with us. We’ll support you with full training, ongoing CPD and the opportunity to gain recognised qualifications and professional memberships.
Our inclusive culture
We are committed to creating an inclusive culture that encourages everyone to bring their true selves to work. We fundamentally believe in the rights of all our employees and customers to be treated fairly, with dignity and respect, free from discrimination. We have active employee networks that support our colleagues and their allies, creating safe spaces for open conversations and the sharing of ideas. We are a signatory to the Armed Forces Covenant and the Women in Finance Charter.