Making a subject access request

a family spending time together in a light, modern kitchen

Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), you are entitled to request access to personal information held about you by NHBC.

Please click on the link below to complete a downloadable application form. This will assist us in locating your information quickly and efficiently.


Please read the Guidance Notes below before completing the subject access request form.

Guidance notes

General Data Protection Regulation

GDPR applies to personal information that NHBC holds about you. It sets out rules on how NHBC must handle your information.

Under GDPR, you (the ‘Data Subject’) are entitled to request copies of all personal data that NHBC holds about you - this is called a subject access request.

What is personal information and how does NHBC use it?

Personal information is any information that relates to you or can be used to identify you.

NHBC provides a range of services. To do this, we need to keep essential personal information about people like you who use our services. This information is voluntarily provided by you/a solicitor acting on your behalf i.e. when you accept Buildmark policy cover, submit a claim, request further information or complete questionnaires.

NHBC may hold information about you such as your name, address and the price you paid for the property.

NHBC processes, within the meaning of GDPR, the limited personal data that it may hold about you for the purpose of:

  • Recording the owners of the property
  • Statistical analysis for administrative purposes
  • Dealing with your claims and complaints

Examples of personal data you can expect to receive is internal communication within NHBC and between NHBC and third parties which specifically discuss you.

Internal communication or communication with third parties discussing remedial measures required for a property will not be disclosed as this information is not considered personal data. In addition,  it is exempt from disclosure in line with the negotiation exclusion under GDPR because disclosing it may prejudice the outcome of a claim/resolution decision if  a claim/complaint is open at the time of the request. 

Who do you give my personal information to?

The recipients of your personal information are employees of NHBC and persons or companies involved in, or having an interest in, your claim/requests for information.

For more information on how NHBC processes your personal data, please click below.


How do I submit a subject access request?

To obtain copies of personal information that NHBC may hold about you, you may wish to complete the downloadable application form which is designed to gather information which we need to identify you, communicate with you and locate data about you. Please note that under GDPR, you also have the right to make verbal requests.

When completing the application form, please be as specific as possible about the information you require as this will assist us in processing your request.

If you are requesting information on behalf of someone else, NHBC requires additional proof to ensure that you are authorised to act on their behalf. Please provide a copy of your passport or driving license and one copy of the following:

  • Written consent from the data subject (an authority to act).
  • Lasting power of attorney.
  • Proof of identity for the data subject.

NHBC will respond to your request as soon as possible and in all cases, within 30 calendar days of receipt of your formal data subject access request.

Please note that when responding to your request, we will not provide you with copies of correspondence that you have previously had with NHBC, unless you advise otherwise.

Please send the completed form and proof of identification (if applicable) to:

Data Protection Officer
NHBC House
Davy Avenue
Milton Keynes

How do I complain if I am not happy?

If you are not satisfied with the handling of your subject access request, please contact the Data Protection Officer in the first instance who will aim to resolve your concerns.

If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, you have the right to ask the Information Commissioner for an assessment of whether your data has been processed in accordance with GDPR. You can contact the Commissioner at:

Information Commissioner 
Wycliffe House