For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is National House-Building Council ('NHBC') of NHBC House, Davy Avenue, Knowlhill, Milton Keynes, MK8 5FP
INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT FROM YOU
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- NHBC only collects personal identity information (i.e. information from which you can be identified, such as name, address, telephone number or e-mail address) through this website, when it is voluntarily submitted by you, for instance when you submit a Claim apply for a job or request information. This information is only used for the specific purpose for which it is submitted.
- Information that you provide by filling in forms via website www.nhbc.co.uk and our related extranet (our site). We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of the information submitted.
- NHBC may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, and the resources that are accessed.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a set of numbers that is automatically assigned to your computer whenever you log on to your internet service provider or through your organisation's computer network. Your computer is identified to the computer that provides or 'hosts' the website, by the IP address assigned to it during your session on the internet. NHBC and/or third party companies acting on behalf of NHBC, may collect IP addresses for the purposes of systems administration and to audit the use of the website.
We do not link a user's IP address to personally identify information of that user, which means each user's session will be logged, but the user remains anonymous to us.
Like many websites, this website uses a technology called 'cookies', which are small computer files that are placed in your computer's memory by the computer that provides or 'hosts' the website. Cookies are used to track data such as the total number of visits to the website. We use this information, which remains in aggregate form, to understand how our visitors use this website, so that we may improve the services we offer.
They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better service. Some of the cookies we use are essential for the site to operate.
NHBC does not use 'cookies' to collect personal identity information about you.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
We will take all reasonable care to keep your data secure and prevent unauthorised access to it. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
USES MADE OF THE INFORMATION
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To process online claims and to administer claims.
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you use features of our service, such as online training and online booking when you choose to do.
- To analyse our service and staff training.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We may disclose your personal information within NHBC. NHBC includes its subsidiary companies such as NHBC Building Control Services Limited, NHBC Services Limited. We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If NHBC or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
- If there is a requirement for information to be passed to others involved with a claim made under the Buildmark policy such as the original builder, or a consultant or remedial works contractor that NHBC may employ in connection with your claim(s) and related claim(s).
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligations, and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of NHBC our customers, or others.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of third parties as a service to our users. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Telephone calls to NHBC are recorded for training and monitoring purposes.