Crocker’s Folly Public House
Built in 1898 and located in the prestigious St. John’s Wood area of Central London, this Grade II* listed former public house was restored to its original glory.
- Gregori Chiarotti Architects
- Abouzaki Holdings Ltd
- BF Construction Ltd
Built in 1898 and located in the prestigious St. John’s Wood area of Central London, this Grade II* listed former public house was restored to its original glory to form a new public house and restaurant at basement and ground floor level with self-contained residential apartments to the upper floors.
Due to the sensitive nature of this project, with keen interest from both English Heritage and Westminster Council’s conservation department, NHBC’s early involvement in the design process was key to ensuring the project schedule ran smoothly and satisfied all the interested stakeholders. Consideration and advice were given across all areas of building regulations, with particular attention being paid towards the development of the architect’s fire strategy to ensure modern fire safety provisions were provided for the change of use of Grade II* listed building. The fire authority approved the fire safety provisions on the first submission.
Elements of modern living, such as refuse store and bike storage, had to be sensitively incorporated into the building’s new design. NHBC’s solution
introduced the refuse areas into the basement as the capacity to provide these outside was limited due to the site being landlocked. All parts of the building have been sympathetically upgraded to achieve modern fire resistant and thermal requirements whilst maintaining the architecturally important features and the overall character of the original building.